Sant'Angelo. The Church of Michael the Archangel (Chiesa di San Michele Arcangelo)
At the highest point of the town, on the hill of Madonella, the Church is very simple and harmonious architecture (map).
Church dedicated to Saint Michael appeared on top of the island of Sant'Angelo, connected to the mainland by a sand spit, appeared in the 16th century. The chapel was built by the monks Benedictines, who founded a Hermitage on the top of the island. At the top was the same, and a watch tower destroyed in the artillery of the British squadron in 1808. The shells of the British were destroyed and the chapel. The ruins of the Church and tower have been preserved up to our days, only now to climb the high cliff without special training there is no way.
In 1850 a resident of the town, Giuseppe Iacono on their own initiative, built on the site of the family chapel, and opened it to all comers.
the Function of a pastor more than half a century has fulfilled himself Iacono. In 1903 he lost his rights to the building of the diocese, and in 1905 was formed the parish of St. Michael.
the Church was consecrated in the name of San Mchele is no accident - arhistratig Michael is the patron Saint of sailors. In the alcove to the right of the altar is a wooden statue of the Saint, made in the 19th century. Image is quite common, the same statues I have seen in Spanish churches.
the Altar is decorated with painting depicting the assumption and San Rocco (St. Roch). The picture painted in the late 19th century by an unknown author.
the Feast of St. Michael the Archangel is celebrated in the town on 29 September, the day you can see two festive procession with the statue of St. Michael at the head - one on the streets of the town, the second on the boats along the beaches of Maronti. The celebration continues and 30 September, these days along the shore unfold the trays with sweets, artists and musicians, and in the evening, you can enjoy the impressive fireworks.