Cathedral of the Assumption Ruins, Argonese Castle
In the western part of the castle, between the Casa del Sol and the convent of St. Mary of Consolation, are the remains of the Cathedral (Cattedrale dell'Assunta), built in 1388. Before that the Cathedral was located on the island and was destroyed in 1301 by the eruption of the volcano Monte Epomeo.
This is a large basilica in the Romanesque style, it had three naves, the apse was covered with a dome.
Six chapels covered with small domes are attached to the side naves.
In 1609, the Cathedral hosted the wedding of Fernando d'Avalos and Vittoria Colonna, a Neapolitan general in the service of Spain and a famous Renaissance poet. The history of their relationship is very romantic and covered with many legends related to the island of Ischia.
In the 16th century the Cathedral was reconstructed and decorated anew in the Baroque style.
In 1806, the island was under siege by a British squadron and the structure was severely destroyed by artillery fire. There was no way to restore the Cathedral, and all that remained was moved to the church in Ischia Ponte, which now serves as the island's Cathedral.
In the early twentieth century, the castle was sold to private ownership and turned into a tourist destination. The ruins of the Cathedral were cleared, the territory was developed and now musical concerts and literary and poetic evenings are held among the ancient columns.
The Cathedral is constantly undergoing restoration work, in several chapels you can see the restored stucco decoration in the Baroque style.