Forio. The Church of Santa Maria di Loreto (Chiesa Santa Maria di Loreto)
Basilica of the virgin of Loreto, founded in the early 14th century, is located in the centre of Forio, at the intersection of Corso Avvocato Francesco Regine b Via Roma (map). The history of the Church began with the construction of a small chapel, which half a century later was extended considerably by 1580 the façade has acquired modern shape.
Further expansion begins in the 17th century and lasts for almost a hundred years. As a result, the temple is substantially lengthened, getting a new transept and apse.
In 1731 was built the bell tower with a clock, and half a century later the Church received a new altar, made by local craftsmen.
1785 was completed the magnificent interior decoration panels of colored marble Genoa.
Then it was finished the new ceiling.
Luxurious design was facilitated by the generosity of local fishermen to Fund the expansion and maintenance of the temple a quarter of its catch. Due to this, the interiors of the 18th century in perfect condition remained to our time.
Finally, on 29 June 1787 in the renovated temple was performed the coronation of the virgin of Loreto.
For a century the Church was a hotbed of charity. Even 1596, when the Church built a hospital for the poor, which lasted until 1962. Now this building is a Museum of religious art, opened in 2012 (to Get to the Museum walking up the stairs on the left wall of the Basilica facing the via Roma).
In the Church was held the funeral ceremony, before the altar stood the coffin, and on the benches sat the bereaved.
On the facade of the temple, to the right of the entrance is a mosaic, made by German graphic designer Edward Bargeron depicting St. Vitus, the patron Saint of the city. This work of gratitude to the island, which became his home during the time of fascism and ban so-called "degenerate art".
Crucifix at the entrance, also a modern work, the same I saw at Church of San Gaetano.