Forio. Church of San Sebastiano (Parrocchia di S. Sebastiano)
On the street Sant'antonio Abate, a block from Piazza Matteotti is an interesting Church, almost not mentioned in guidebooks (map).
Interestingly, the temple has bears the name of St. Mary and St. Sebastian, although it belongs to the parish of St. Anthony, but more on that below.
the study known local historian Giovanni D Ischia (Giovanni D'ascia) "the History of the island of Ischia" in 1867 the history of the Church are described as follows: "After the catastrophic eruption of the volcano Epomeo 1301 of the year, Giacinto di Colantonio (di Giacinto Colantonio) made a vow to build a chapel, which was bought for 60 ducats to land in the quarter, Tuokko.
Chapel was built in 1321, and was consecrated in honor of San Antonio. The name was chosen after the eruption of this Saint was highly respected on the island as a protector against fire and smoke.
However, in 1971, the historians discovered in the archives of Forio some documents showing the later Foundation of the Church. According to this, all the same, We have built a family chapel in 1701, and in 1774 his son, Vito, We have transferred ownership of the diocese of Forio. The temple became a centre of the new parish of San Antonio.
Then, in a particular way, the Church received a new name - in 1750 the village of Pezze the parish was founded Satogo Sebastian, but the construction of the Church was delayed due to lack of funds, and then was abandoned. Appointed to the parish priest was transferred to the Loreto Basilica, which was also in the stage of restructuring. In 1774, and here the construction was frozen, and the pastor was sent to the newly established parish. By some misunderstanding, the official papers of the Church became known as the name of the parish, which originally appointed the priest.
the Building was substantially rebuilt in the mid 19th century. The extension prevented the surrounding buildings, so the temple grew vertically built a new dome and bell tower, the facade was decorated in neo-Baroque style.
what struck me most was the interior - a large number of curtains looks unusual and very beautiful.
Curtains also decorated the entrance to the temple. This is probably done on the occasion of the Holy day.